Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Everything Gives You Cancer

It's official - my mother has breast cancer. I knew it was going to be true from the first whisper of a bad mammogram. So did she. The women in my family are cursed with alarming prescience. If only I knew how to tap that source when I wanna. I could kick Miss Cleo's robust arse.

We are quite hopeful she will be fine. My mother is nothing if not tenacious. Her energy is unstoppable. She is one of the hardest working people I know, and therein lies part of the problem - she can't rest.

Depsite the negative memories I have drudged up and posted here, I have great love for you, Mom. You taught me to be responsible, honest, hardworking, resourceful, independent, gracious, universally respectful, adaptable, pragmatic, enduring, polite, proper, materially conservative, to value education... oh, and the endless toolbox of skills I have got!

One of my hopes is that when they have carved away at your breast, you won't feel they have taken any of your womanliness. Your body took care of your baby. That, and whatever sexual pleasure you derived there, is all nature required of your breasts.

I will be home, Momma, just as soon as you need me. It's the least I can do.

3 comments:

Tony Grant said...

Sorry about your mother, I will say a prayer. Thanks for stopping by lovesbible. I will visit you again, I love your honesty.

m/p said...

i am so sorry to hear about your mother. shes lucky to have you. you are amazing.

Debbie said...

My mother is also sick. It's not cancer, but she's pretty ill.

As a very good friend said to me, the power of modern medical science can amaze you.