Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Remedy

I've been thinking a lot about what could possibly be wrong that all the boys and girls I know are so impossibly set against falling in love. Or maybe it's just the boys, but there are some things I cannot know. What I do know is I'm tired of politely sitting on my feelings out of respect for where someone is "at." I don't want a jaded life. I don't want affection measured out a teaspoon at a time. Love isn't a runaway train, but it should feel like abundance. It should be clear that that someone is happy to see you when you come in the door because, well, because you just like each other. And if you don't, why are you wasting your time and hers?

I'm tired of people putting the clamps on and squeezing the life blood out of romance in an attempt to control their environment and stave off future hurts. Life hurts, get used to it. It hurts worse when you're denied the authentic feeling of really being present with another human being. People should be reaching for one another. I should feel confident about calling on you in my time of need. You should feel you could slip under my covers and curl up beside me until you feel alright again, if that's what you need. I want laughter and I want tears without the fear that I might seem crazy for living what every person experiences. Emotion isn't wrong, it's a wave that passes over you and delivers you to the shore. And I dare you to turn your back on it.

Here is possibly the best thing I've read about the experience of love in a long time. May we all grow up and start to live the philosophy of the guy on the long-haul.

“Suddenly the world had a center, and that center was Marianne.”

-A Trucker

3 comments:

The Frito Pundito said...

I wrote a long poem once about a relationship, but the only part people remembered were the last two lines:

She said "I love you"
And everyone else disappeared

GrizzBabe said...

So beautifully said but so difficult to carry out for people like me who tend to not want to be in control of their emotions at all times.

GrizzBabe said...

** correction **

I meant to say so difficult to carry out for people like me who want to be in control of their emotions at all times.