Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Affection Is Subversive

Does anyone else remember the Leo Buscaglia Society? I remember being chased across the main green of my Providence, RI campus when I wouldn't submit to a hug. Of course, that was more in fun than anything. Anyhow, this is the best example of positive social activism I've ever heard of (well, not to take anything away from Gandhi), from a young man in Sydney, Australia. Too bad the authorities tried to break it up. Here's the video, there's a story that unfolds. The skateboard stunt's one of my favorite moments.

This is the YouTube blurb:

"Sometimes, a hug is all what we need. Free hugs is a real life controversial story of Juan Mann, a man whose sole mission was to reach out and hug a stranger to brighten up their lives.

In this age of social disconnectivity and lack of human contact, the effects of the Free Hugs campaign became phenomenal.

As this symbol of human hope spread accross the city, police and officials ordered the Free Hugs campaign BANNED. What we then witness is the true spirit of humanity come together in what can only be described as awe inspiring.

In the Spirit of the free hugs campaign, PASS THIS TO A FRIEND and HUG A STRANGER! After all, If you can reach just one person..."

Here's the tv news story from Down Under.

And this article from the Sydney Morning Herald: "A City of Sydney spokesman Josh MacKenzie said he could find no record of rangers asking Mann to move on."

I love that Juan Mann's name, homophonically, is One Man.

Big Hug to all y'all (or, in the words of Ari Gold on Entourage, "Hug it out, Bitch!")

2 comments:

bulletholes said...

The Websense Gods decline that i should view the Video...but I do recall Leo whatshisname.. my ex-wife had a ooshy-gooshy book of his! Didn't do her much good either. i always get him mixed up with the D.A. in the Manson trials...

kissyface said...

I guess I was misleading in the sense that I sorta implied that Mr. Mann is part of the Buscaglia group. To my knowledge, he is notm though he might be. I just thought the huggy thing was quite the same.

if you can't watch it via my page, you might have better luck on YouTube, whence it came.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4