Monday, April 24, 2006

Many Happy Returns of the Day, Huckleberry!

from Chapter 6 ...in which Eeyore has a birthday and gets two presents (with apologies to A.A. Milne for the severe abridgement and wobbly edit)

"Many happy returns of the day," said Piglet again.

"Meaning me?"

"Of course, Eeyore."

"My birthday?"

"Yes."

"Me having a real birthday?"

"Yes, Eeyore, and I've brought you a present."

Eeyore took down his right hoof from his right ear, turned round, and with great difficulty put up his left hoof.

"I must have that in the other ear," he said. "Now then."

"A present," said Piglet very loudly.

"Meaning me again?"

"Yes."

"My birthday still?"

"Of course, Eeyore."

"Me going on having a real birthday?"

"Yes, Eeyore, and I brought you a balloon."

"Balloon?" said Eeyore. "You did say balloon? One of those big coloured things you blow up? Gaiety, song-and-dance,
here we are and there we are?"
-----------------------------------------------------------------

So there we are, Happy Birthday! May it be full of "Gaiety. Song-and-dance. Here we go round the mulberry
bush..."

1 comment:

Huckleberry said...

Thanks, it indeed was full O merriment.
Not so much with mulberry bushes however.
Which is unfortunate.
But mucho libations, and the perfect excuse to fire up the BBQ...